A mindful awareness of color
Art Journal Prompt: Color
What is your relationship with color? Which colors are you drawn to? What do your color preferences say about you? These are the questions I had in mind as I began my own color exploration.
I am most drawn to GREEN all things green! Green is my all time favorite color, and I love almost all shades of green, avocado, moss, split pea, sage… Green makes me feel comfortable and safe. It is very calming for me. After green I tend to lean towards yellows, golden yellows like the color of the light filtering through the sky on a crisp fall day, or mustard and amber tones of yellow. I love the colors of autumn they make me feel renewed. There is nothing more beautiful to me than a candy apple red or burnt orange tree with that beautiful golden light I mentioned above filtering through its leaves!
In smaller doses I also like blues, rich cobalt blues or turquoise. I love rose gold and salmon pink, but I tend to be pretty turned off by most other shades of pink. Neutrals likes grays, and browns are also colors I gravitate to…they are safe and comfortable colors for me.
Psychology of Color
When I looked up color psychology surrounding the color green on Empowered by Color I found a fairly accurate description of myself!
- Either well balanced or are striving for balance, and can become anxious when out of balance.
- Love to learn.
- Tend to be emotional people. They desire to love and to be loved, and they wear their emotions outwardly.
- Make great friends and partners, gentle but not passionate. It is difficult to find great passion as their need for balance and peace overshadows action.
- Care a great deal about how other people see them, they want to be acknowledged for the good that they do.
- Tend to be supportive, kind, nurturing, generous, and compassionate people.
- Have high moral standards and strive to do the right thing.
- Desire both security and acknowledgement.
- Are stubborn and strong willed.
- Are not risk takers or action oriented, they tend to be observers, people watchers.
- Love to work in their own businesses and are business oriented. Money is important to them, but they are also generous.
- Ideas flow but follow through is difficult.
- Tend to be good listeners, empathetic, and able to see all sides of a situation. On the flip side they can tend towards jealousy and envy.
The Description was overwhelmingly descriptive of how I see myself…
I was very surprised by the description. The part about seeking balance!! “Balance” has been my focus word for the past year and a half as I had been feeling anxious and out of balance in the many areas of my life. In recent months as I began to feel a bit more in balance I changed my focus word to “Open.” I love to learn and I am always coming up with new ideas, but often I lack the follow through to see them through before getting excited about a new idea. Usually, I like to play it safe and follow the rules, I worry about what other people will think of me if I don’t. I also worry about inconveniencing others. My close friends and family are extremely important to me, but I am also happy just sitting in a crowd and people watching as long as I remain in the background. I am a very emotional person. most people can tell how I am feeling just by looking at me…I do not hide my emotions well even when I try! Stubbornness is a quality that many have told me I posses 😉 haha. I could go on, but I will spare you…
The color green represents the heart chakra love, health, prosperity, and abundance. Once your base needs are met in the lower chakras then energies can be transformed at the heart chakra to the more spiritual aspects of self. Green is the color of growth and balance, and your balance can be found at your heart center.
“Green is the energy of love and transformation. It allows you to transform your ego and the needs of your lower chakras and open up to love.”